I'm presently in a small village an hour's drive west of Berlin where I'm attending the Presencing Foundation Program with Otto Scharmer from MIT. There are 80 delegates from 20 different countries. The program is all about the frameworks, methodology, and experiential learning for bringing about change in social systems.
How do you change social systems? According to Otto there are just two things which bring about the shift:
- Courage: Having the courage to try something new, to sense and learn from the emerging future, not just the past.
- Loving Attention: The quality of our attention is shaping the world around us. Energy follows attention. And when we pay attention with love the social system is more likely to respond.
- What in your life and work is dying or ending, and what wants to be born?
- What do you need to let go of?
- Where, right now, do you feel the opening to a future possibility?
- What are your most important sources of energy? What do you love?